At any rate, I'm trying to determine an approximate speed of the "Little Red Corvette"(a metaphor of a speeding car to a fast woman but let's ignore that).
Things we can extrapolate from the song:
- The Corvette is traveling at a speed faster than what Prince considers safe.
- The Corvette contains a nearly full tank of gas.
- Prince is concerned the speed and road friction will end up driving the car right into the ground (tire wear?).
- The song was released in 1982, so let's assume it's a new Corvette. A 1982 Corvette had 200 hp, and did 0-60 mph in 7.9 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 16.1 seconds at 85 mph. It hit 100 mph in 24.8 seconds and a top speed of 125mph.
- The album cut of the song is 4:58 minutes long.
- The car was parked at the beginning of the song (sideways) and sat still long enough for Prince to examine the contents of the girl's pockets.
- Prince first mentions her speed being "too fast" at 0:52 seconds into the song in the first chorus.