Authorities say William Colburn faces charges that include retail theft and tampering with evidence.
Naples Police say the 18-year-old was in the store on Saturday when security saw him remove the earrings from a box, drop them into a bottle of water and leave without paying.
When a security officer approached him outside the store, authorities say the teenager drank the water, swallowing the earrings.
Police said Monday the X-ray confirmed the earrings were inside him. A police spokesman didn't know whether the suspect required medical treatment for having swallowed the earrings.
Police do not know if he has an attorney. A phone listing for Colburn couldn't be found.
I find this just a bit odd. So the security guard saw him put the earrings in the water bottle and then stood by him as he drank the water bottle and the earrings, yet they still X-rayed him. So the price of taking him into the hospital and using the X-ray machine to do this was worth it for this pair of $16 earrings. The only thing I can come up with is that they mistook the kid for Chris Angel and thought that he was pulling some weird magic trick.