So to set the record straight, here it is straight from the interbutts (so you know it's 100%):
Cory is an Irish-Anglo surname with many possible sources:
- Cory comes from Corbin, based on the Latin word “corvus” meaning Raven.
- Cory comes from an English surname meaning “Chosen.”
- Cory comes from Corrick, an Irish surname meaning “From the Round Hill.”
- Cory comes form an Irish surname meaning “Ravine.”
- Cory comes from a Germanic surname, Cordell, which meant a “Maker of Cord.”
- Cory is an English surname based on the Scandinavian, Kori, of unknown meaning.
- Cory is from an Irish Gaelic surname Ó Camraidhe, meaning “A Descendent of Camhradhe.”
Cory is one of those names like Sherman, Ashley, Russell, or Harrison, that was a surname transferred to become a first name (mostly in the United States).
Alternates: Cori, Corey, Kori, Korey, Kory