I was watching this story vaguely here at work and frankly it didnt much seem to register enough to blog about it. Normally, the things in the news that make me want to blog either have to do with out-and-out outrage I feel over the issue or a high level of hypocrisy. At the beginning this story registered neither until I started reading more AP articles about the situation.
Sen. Larry Craig is a Republican, and while I tend to think they are all two-faced lying scum bags sucking the soul out of America - I normally like to give them the benefit of the doubt before I say that they are two faced lying scum bags sucking the soul out of America.
Senator Larry Craig's record:
- Voted NO on $100M to reduce teen pregnancy by education & contraceptives. (Mar 2005)
- Voted YES on constitutional ban of same-sex marriage. (Jun 2006)
- Voted NO on adding sexual orientation to definition of hate crimes. (Jun 2002)
- Voted NO on expanding hate crimes to include sexual orientation. (Jun 2000)
- Voted YES on prohibiting same-sex marriage. (Sep 1996)
- Voted NO on prohibiting job discrimination by sexual orientation. (Sep 1996)
- Rated 25% by the ACLU, indicating an anti-civil rights voting record. (Dec 2002)
- Rated 100% by the Christian Coalition: a pro-family voting record. (Dec 2003)
At any rate his track record and party affiliation seems very anti-LGBT equality, which I'm sure helps this rank higher in the news (and on my radar for my blog).
Anyway it turns out that there have been questions about this Senator's sexuality since the 1980's and while I know there are openly gay senators (well one) and other gay senators still in various degrees of the closest - I feel sort of bad for old Senator Larry Craig. He must really be struggling with this sexual identification and at this age, he's probably been struggling for a very long time. And when different parts of your life are in conflict it can be a very difficult time.
I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, because I am not yet so jaded to think that 100% of the people who run for public office are no-good money grubbers. But then him and his office started offering explanations about how the cop was mistaken.
- Police Officer: "The senator blocked his stall entrance with his bags and then tapped his right foot ..." (a signal from the other bathroom stall he might want sex)
- Craig's Response: "At the time of this incident, I complained to the police that they were misconstruing my actions ..."
- Police Officer: "The presence of others did not seem to deter Craig as he moved his right foot so that it touched the side of my left foot which was within my stall area ..."
- Craig's Response: "he (Sen. Craig) has a wide stance when going to the bathroom" and that was why his foot may have touched the officer's (foot).
- Police Officer: " Craig's blue eyes were clearly visible through the crack in the door, Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport police Sgt. Dave Karsnia wrote in the report he filed on the June 11 incident. "Craig would look down at his hands, 'fidget' with his fingers, and then look through the crack into my stall again,"
- Craig's Response: "I dont recall these things happening ..."
- Police Officer: "After Craig ran his hand underneath the partition wall three times, Karsnia held his police identification down by the floor so the senator could see it, the report said."With my left hand near the floor, I pointed towards the exit. Craig responded, 'No!' "I again pointed towards the exit. Craig exited the stall with his roller bags without flushing the toilet,"
- Craig's Response: "(I) reached down to the floor to pick up a piece of paper"
- Craig's Initial Response: "Guilty as charged."
- Craig's New Response: "The cops were wrong and I'm innocent."
I just cant get over the audacity some of these people have, the out-and-out bold faced lying. And while you can argue, as some of you I'm sure will, that we should give him the benefit of the doubt still, I say that in the court of public opinion he's all washed up.
Rack another big scandal up to the GOP. At this rate the democrats wont even have to show up and they'll probably win by a landslide.